SU Abroad is committed to making study abroad a reality for students seeking academic opportunities beyond their home campus. There are a variety of grants and incentives for SU students participating in SU Abroad programs. SU students should connect with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs for more information.
Grants are awarded for a student’s first abroad experience based on need, which is determined by the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. Please note that it is the policy of the Office of Financial Aid to provide abroad-specific aid for one semester.
Friends of the University have made generous contributions which enable us to award scholarships for specific study abroad experiences for SU undergraduate students. Full list available here.
Fall-Only Supplemental Aid
Up to 10% supplemental aid, based on previous semester’s aid, for students who study abroad in the fall semester. (Not available for continuing students).
Plane Ticket Loan Program
The SU Abroad Plane Loan Ticket Program allows students who are fully funded with need based financial aid to apply their financial aid funds toward the purchase of their plane ticket abroad. More information available here.
Financial Aid 101
- Student aid is based on the total cost of the program you are attending (including tuition, program fee, airfare, and additional personal expenses)
- Students keep institutional aid when studying on an SU Abroad program (center or World Partners)
- Students may be eligible for a need-based grant based on the completed FAFSA and CSS Profile
- Students may need to combine need-based grants with loans and other federal aid to cover the total cost of the abroad program
- Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs at (315) 443-1513, email , or visit 200 Bowne Hall for an in-person SU Abroad counseling session
Financial Aid Scholarship Listserv
Looking for scholarship opportunities to support your abroad experience? Join the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs’ listserv and receive information about external scholarship opportunities. Sign up by visiting the scholarship listserv website and following the instructions on the page. You’ll start receiving emails within a few days.
International students matriculated at SU are not eligible for federally funded financial aid administered by the Syracuse University Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship programs, which includes Study Abroad Grants. For more information, please visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs . International students may qualify for named scholarship awards.
Multiple Semester Students
For students considering a second semester abroad, please note that it is the policy of the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs to provide abroad-specific aid for one semester. If you are considering an additional semester abroad, please meet with the financial aid office to discuss your aid options before beginning your application with SU Abroad.