What is an ISIC Card?
For Spring and Summer 2018 students: As a student studying abroad with SU, you have been issued an International Student ID Card (ISIC). This card is a globally-recognized form of identification and provides travel discounts, and also provides excess insurance when traveling overseas. All accepted students participating in Syracuse Abroad programs receive an ISIC as part of their program fee. It is important to keep your ISIC with you at all times! Your ISIC offers some great benefits, should you choose to take advantage of the following:
- Internationally-recognized form of identification
- Premium excess insurance – Trip delay, lost baggage, medical and dental insurance coverage, 24/7 emergency help line with medical, travel, and legal assistance
- Over 40,000 discounts worldwide – transportation, hotels/hostels, museums, restaurants
- ISIC Connect, which allows you to save up to 70% on international calls
Visit the ISIC website for details of discounts offered. It is also important to visit the website to review details about what the ISIC Premium Plan insurance covers.
Travel and Entertainment Discounts
You can also use your ISIC to take advantage of discounts while traveling . Some examples include:
- 2,800 Museums and Culture Sites
- 2,400 Hostels and Budget Hotels
- 1,200 Airlines, Buses, Coaches, Trains, and Ferries
- 2,700 Attractions
- 21,000 Restaurants and Entertainment
ISIC as Excess Insurance
The ISIC provides excess medical insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation, as well as limited coverage for loss of personal property. The Premium Plan [PDF, 171KB] is designed as a secondary form of insurance coverage.
NOTE: You should review your own insurance policy(ies) to ensure that you have adequate coverage while you are abroad. In most cases, you will be required to pay for medical costs up front, submit the receipts to your primary insurance company for reimbursement and then submit any uncovered costs to ISIC for remaining reimbursement.
How do I apply for my ISIC Card?
You don’t have to. Syracuse Abroad electronically submits your information to ISIC once you have been accepted into a Syracuse Abroad program. You will then receive an email from STA Travel prompting you to confirm your mailing address and to upload a color head shot. This is all that is required of you, DO NOT APPLY FOR A NEW CARD ON THE SITE. Once a photo is uploaded, Syracuse Abroad will send the ISIC to your destination, where you will pick it up upon your arrival.