- Students are expected to take classes or participate in class-related activities Mondays through Fridays.
- Class attendance is mandatory at Syracuse Madrid. Parental, friend or sweetheart visits, missed transportation connections, mild colds, headaches or hangovers, unofficial trips away from SUM, etc. are not acceptable grounds for missing class.
- Following the “Add” deadline, students may have two unexcused absences without penalty during the semester in each course. Students accepted into a course after the “Add” deadline do not have any unexcused absences.
- To comply with Syracuse Madrid policies, professors are required to take attendance in every class and course related activity. After three unexcused absences (in addition to the two allowed), an academic warning will be issued to the student by the professor. Finally, each unexcused absence after the two allowed will result in a penalty applied to the course’s final grade. The penalty is the loss of a half of a grade point for each unexcused absence (e.g., A to A-, A- to B+, B+ to B, B to B-, B- to C+ etc.).
- You are expected to be on time. Once the instructor enters the classroom, the class has officially started. An instructor has the right to deny access to a student who arrives late. Late arrivals may result in an unexcused absence.
- You are expected to stay for the duration of the class. The instructor will tell you when class is over. Early departures due to personal plans are unexcused absences.
- Students cannot leave the room once the class has started. Only students with valid medical reasons can take bathroom breaks. These reasons should be explained to the professor at the beginning of the semester (or the class, if applicable).
VERIFICATION OF MEDICAL CONDITION
Excuses for class absences for medical reasons will be given only if such absences are advised by a local health care provider, based on clinical findings and prescribed treatment recommendations. Excused notes will not be given solely to confirm a visit to a Health Center. At the beginning of each process students should contact our director of Student Life, who will inform faculty of any medical excuses.