If you are proficient in Spanish, and your idea of studying abroad is cultural immersion and getting a vibrant and real sense of what “being Spaniard” means, these courses are for you.
Here you can find all the options available for you to perfect your Spanish skills while studying in Madrid. You have the option to start the semester with our Spanish seminar, and to take all your courses at the Syracuse Madrid Center in Spanish. You can also choose to enroll in the Liberal Arts in Spanish program at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, where you’ll be taking courses taught in Spanish with Spanish and international students.
Students enrolled in Syracuse Madrid center courses or in the UAM option would take 15-19 credits taught in Spanish.
Signature Seminar (3 credits)
Upper-division Spanish language courses (choose 1; 3 credits each)
- SPA 302: Advanced Language Usage
- SPA 400.1: Perfection of Spanish: Oral and Written Expression
- SPA/LAS 433: Business Spanish
Content courses taught in Spanish (Choose 2 or 3; 3 credits each)
- HOA 464/SPA 364: Modern Spanish Art
- HST/LAS 322/SPA 325: Colonial Latin America
- HST/WGS/SPA 417: The History of Women in Spain
- SPA 400.3/ART 250.1: Spain Screams: Horror in Contemporary Spanish Film (spring only)
- SPA 400.4: Spanish Graphic Novel Today
Liberal Arts in Spanish at Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (UAM) (Choose 1 or 2 courses; 3 credits each)
- Take courses alongside your Spanish peers at a local Spanish university
- Due to the academic calendar at UAM, this option is only available for academic year or spring semester students.
Internship or Community Engagement (internship, 1 credit; community engagement is not credit-bearing).
Once you begin your semester at the Syracuse Madrid Center, you’ll have an opportunity to enroll in an internship. Internships in Syracuse Madrid are offered in virtually every field, from business to social services to communications.