All students must complete the London visa form within their study abroad application no later than October 15.
U.S. citizens or citizens of certain countries (European Union, as well as nationals of Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein) are not required to apply for a visa unless interning, working, or studying in the UK for more than 6 months.
Prior to departure, you will receive an immigration letter from your admissions counselor that you will present upon arrival at customs
Students who are required to apply for a visa:
1. Tier 4 Student
You are required to apply for a Tier 4 student visa if you fall into one of the below categories. You are:
- Applying for a work-study position at the Syracuse London Center (Syracuse University students only)
- Participating in an unpaid internship. Syracuse London is required, by law, to report any student participating in internships both arranged independently or by the school. Students interning without this visa may be subject to deportation.
- Considering any type of work (paid or unpaid). Please note that you are not allowed to work for more than 20 hours per week, and you should not count on being able to obtain employment when budgeting for your time in the UK, as casual, part-time work is extremely difficult to find.
- Planning to study for a full academic year at the Syracuse London Center. If you have not already notified your admissions counselor, please email Mary Fedorko at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students studying in the UK for more than six months are required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), and will be prompted to do this as part of the online visa application process.
2. Non-U.S. and non-EU Citizens
You are required to apply for a short-term study visa. If you are unsure if you need to apply for this visa, please complete the questionnaire found here . If you plan to intern, work, or study for a full academic year at the Syracuse London Center you will apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa instead of a Short-term Study Visa (see above).
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Admissions Counselor, Mary Fedorko, at email@example.com or 315-443-9431.