Once you book a flight and have a confirmed itinerary, please submit the “Travel Arrangements” form within your application portal.
Group Flights: Before departure, you will receive information about whom and where to meet when you arrive at the airport from your counselor. If you have any questions about your actual flight, please contact Advantage Travel at 315-471-2222.
Independent Flights: If you have booked your flight independently, it is especially important that you fill out the “Travel Arrangements” form as soon as possible. You will receive information on whom and where to meet once you arrive in the host country. Be sure to keep Syracuse Abroad’s phone number with you as well as contact information for your center staff in case you have any issues during travel.
Travel Before and After the Program
While students can certainly choose to travel before the start of the program and after the program ends, please note that students cannot move into their program-provided housing until the start of the program and students must leave their program-provided housing on the last day of the program (the same day as the return group flight).
- Pack one suitcase, one carry-on, and one personal item. Checking more bags will result in excess baggage fees. Check with your airline for more information on luggage.
- Check your airline’s weight and size restrictions. An overweight or oversized bag can also result in baggage fees.
- Ensure all of your portable electronics are charged so they can be turned on. New safety regulations may require you to turn on laptops, tablets, or cell phones while going through security.
- Consult the Transportation Safety Administration website at www.tsa.gov if you have questions about what you can and cannot pack.
- Pack your passport and any valuables (such as electronics, phones, etc.) in your personal item.
- Bring copies of your passport, visa, and credit cards and leave a copy of each at home with your parent or guardian for safety reasons.
- Wear appropriate travel clothing: shoes you can easily remove, layers for unpredictable climates, etc. Be sure to check the weather in your final destination before you arrive.
- Do some research on the electrical voltage in your host country. Generally, newer electronics that can be charged and store energy require only an adapter. However, small appliances such as hair dryers or electric razors will usually require converters. When used without a converter, such appliances may be a hazard to you or the circuit. It is better to buy such appliances once you arrive abroad.
- Do not bring excessive toiletries or beauty products – most countries will have similar or equivalent products available, so do not waste space in your suitcase.
- Leave room in your suitcase for items you may bring back!
Packing Guidelines for Signature Seminars
Not all students participate in a Signature Seminar, however if you do, you’ll need to pack your smaller carry-on bag with materials for your seminar (your larger suitcase will be stored at the center). Each seminar is different and will have different requirements. Check the details of your specific seminar to supplement these guidelines:
- Pack appropriate attire. Some seminars require business or business casual attire while some may involve more activity such as extensive walking. Dress and pack accordingly.
- Pack appropriate outerwear such as coats, jackets, raincoats, etc. Check the weather before arriving at your destination.
- Pack appropriate footwear according to your specific seminar activities.
- Be sure to have any electronics and chargers you may want on hand.
- Pack smaller, travel-sized toiletries as you may not have time to shop after landing.