Congratulations to the 12 Syracuse University students who received Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships for their upcoming study abroad programs in spring, summer, or fall 2020! In addition to the 12 recipients, two students were named as alternates. The total amount received by the students is $57,000, with the average award size being $4,750.
Gilman Scholarships are open to undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college/university to participate in study or internship programs abroad. We encourage all Syracuse Abroad students who meet the qualifications to apply for awards that can reach up to $8,000!
For this first time this fall application cycle (Cycle 1), students were able to apply for a Gilman Scholarship up to a year before their intended abroad program. The deadline for Cycle 2 of Gilman Scholarships will be March 3, 2020. Eligible students can apply during Cycle 2 to obtain funding towards a summer 2020, fall 2020, or spring 2021 semester abroad. Syracuse Abroad and the Center for Fellowship & Scholarship Advising (CFSA) will hold a Gilman Interest Session on February 7, 2020 in Eggers Hall 010 (12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.), as well as writing workshops leading up to the application deadline.
For more information on Syracuse Abroad programs, students can make an appointment to meet with an advisor at our SyracuseAbroad@Bird location (Bird Library, 002).
Our Cycle 1 recipients are:
- Jessie Carbajal: Shanghai, China (spring 2020)
- Brienna Flewelling: Florence, Italy (spring 2020)
- Derek Gutierrez: Shanghai, China (spring 2020)
- Santiago Hernandez: Shanghai, China (spring 2020)
- Erick Lojano-Quispe: Florence, Italy (spring 2020)
- Kiara Molina: London, United Kingdom (spring 2020)
- Aislyn Murray: Prague, Czech Republic (spring 2020)
- Shamar Niang: Madrid, Spain (spring 2020)
- Eronmwon Osagie: Madrid, Spain (spring 2020)
- Diana Quesada: Florence, Italy (spring 2020)
- Kailey Smith: Strasbourg, France (summer 2020)
- Maria Victoria Polanco: London, United Kingdom (fall 2020)