Students may request a host family change after the fifteen-day adaptation period in Madrid has passed. Only exceptional circumstances that the office of Student Life determines may have a negative impact on the student’s health or safety will be considered. Documentation may be required.
- Students should make an appointment with the housing coordinator as soon as an issue or potential issue arises.
- A request for a homestay change must be made in writing and by appointment.
- 1)Telephone mediation and 2) in-person mediation between the students, housing coordinator and host families are the initial steps before a housing change is considered.
- Changes are subject to the office of Student Life’s approval and to the time needed to locate a suitable alternative host family in the case of homestay assignments (this may take up to a week).
- Changes are not allowed when the main reason is distance to the school, being the only student in the house or not being with friends (all eligible requests regarding “being with friends” submitted prior to published deadline will be respected), unless the student submitted a claim to the office of Disability Services and Syracuse Madrid can reasonably accommodate the request once it has been approved by main campus office of Disability Services housing committee.
- Students are expected to stay at the current home until a new family has been identified. Once a host family is selected and approved for reassignment, the family must be given 24 hours minimum to prepare the home and schedule for student arrival.
- A change in host families will likely entail relocation further from campus or the city center. Nearby host families are rarely left as backup options.
- Syracuse Madrid will not pay for hotel stays or for alternative accommodation.
- Except for in the case of documented health & safety related circumstances, no more than one homestay change per semester will be allowed.