Discover Madrid, a city that never ceases to surprise. With the cosmopolitan and cultural flair of a European capital with the approachability of a cozy town, you’re sure to find your place in Madrid.
We have prepared a dynamic program that includes enriching coursework, stimulating cultural activities, engaging teachers, strong student support, and exciting field trips within Spain.
As part of a small group of highly motivated first-year students, you’ll be starting off your college career with an exceptional experience and a solid academic base.
You’re on the cusp of a memorable semester. So get ready to discover Madrid…and get ready to discover all that you are capable of achieving!
Syracuse Abroad Virtual Take-Off
- September 1 – 9:
- Get a jumpstart on your semester abroad! All courses begin on-line. Meet your classmates and professors, and start on your syllabi before travelling to Madrid
- Online pre-arrival Discovery orientation begins
Welcome to Madrid: In-Person Program Dates
- September 16: Students arrive in Madrid
- September 16 – 19: On-site Discovery welcome sessions
- September 20: On-site classes begin
- Program end date:
Discovery students live with a Spanish host family conveniently located within a 35-minute commute to the Syracuse Madrid Center. Homestays include breakfast and dinner daily. Practice your emerging Spanish language skills over homemade meals and make lasting friendships with your new family!
The Discovery Madrid curriculum will keep you on track with all your first-year requirements. The 1-credit First-Year Seminar not only guides you through the challenges and adventures of being a new college student but also keeps you connected with the main campus and your eventual transition to Syracuse.
Discovery students enjoy local outings and activities designed exclusively for your cohort, such as day trips to Alcalá de Henares (birthplace of Cervantes) and El monasterio de El Escorial (the historical residence of the King of Spain).
- Bullet Train through Spain! All students will be able to choose up to three program-sponsored weekend trips at no additional cost. Options will include the following destinations: Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, Granada, Córdoba, Sevilla, Málaga. The trips will start on Fridays and students will have the options to stay two days, returning back to Madrid on Sunday. Some trips include: Málaga: Picasso’s Birthplace, Granada: The Eighth Wonder of the World, Alicante: Unsustainable Tourist Urbanism, Córdoba: Muslim Spain.
- Enjoy other local activities and day-long bus trips to regional destinations during the week.
- The optional Azahar seminar will be offered for an additional fee at the end of the semester, December 3 – 13.
Engage with your city
- Center Activities: Diversity & Inclusion Steering Committee, Student Life events, cooking workshops and more!
- Global learning opportunities and course activities take you out into the city to experience and learn: museum tours, walking tours, and visits to the Spanish Senate and Parliament
- MadWorld Passport Program immerses you in Spanish culture through events, day trips, discussions, and lectures throughout your study abroad experience
- Independent Travel: Due to international health and safety regulations, students must limit their independent travels to within Spain. The Syracuse Madrid staff will share their expert advice for both well-known destinations and hidden gems throughout Spain’s eight historical regions.
- Visas: Because the duration of the program is under 90 days, U.S. citizens will not be required to obtain a student visa. Students without a visa will need to depart from Spain no later than December 14, 2021.
- Non-U.S. citizens will need to obtain a student visa. Syracuse Abroad will provide detailed instructions and work closely with students during this process.
- Fees: Due to the shorter duration of the program, the program fee has been reduced from $7,650 to $5,900. for the host family housing option.
Questions about Covid-19 procedures or health and safety abroad?