Health Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need health insurance?

We provide information for exchange students looking for health insurance.

Matriculated Part-Time Students, Non-Matriculated Students, Students on OPT, and Visiting Scholars

The following individuals are NOT subject to the new University requirement of an ACA-compliant health insurance policy written in the U.S.:

  • Students who are in their last semester of study and allowed to be registered part-time
  • Non-matriculated students (Syracuse Abroad Exchange Students, Humphrey Fellows)
  • Students applying for or approved for OPT
  • Visiting scholars in J-1 professor, research scholar, short-term scholar, specialist, or intern status

This group is not eligible for the AETNA plan. Three policies are recommended for acceptable coverage:

Although these policies will not be accepted for full-time matriculated students, the coverage is sufficient for these other categories.

It is strongly advised that you do not have a lapse in coverage. If your current coverage expires, sign up for new coverage for as long as you are in the US. You should never have a lapse in coverage, even when you are out of the country.

Please provide the Slutzker Center with a copy (either electronic or hard copy) of your enrollment agreement, and the receipt with starting and ending dates of your coverage. You must have health insurance in effect every day of your stay in the U.S. Scholars and students who request travel signatures, and students who request authorization for curricular or optional practical training will have to provide evidence of continuous health insurance coverage prior to obtaining these immigration benefits. New students will need the proof of insurance in order to clear immigration status at the Slutzker Center upon arrival.

If you have questions, you may contact the Slutzker Center.