Alumni Stories: Samantha Scott, Spring 2008

Samantha recently returned to the Villa Rossa with her mother, who finally got to see the place that had such an impact on her daughter and meet the host family that took such good care of her. Samantha shares some heartwarming reflections in this follow-up interview.

What was your impression of the school and the city 15 years later?

Returning to Florence after so many years was such a surreal experience. As my mom and I walked from Santa Maria Novella to our hotel, it was so exciting to see the Duomo come into view. When I was there from January-April 2008, there weren’t as many people around since it was still winter. Visiting in mid-October, the weather was much warmer and the larger crowds were a big difference! Otherwise, it felt like coming home and nothing had changed. The city is just as enthralling as I remember, and I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of seeing it all. Villa Rossa is still a charming and tranquil spot in a bustling city. I was so happy that I got to show my mom where I had gone to school. Getting the chance to walk around the courtyard, peak into classrooms, and rediscover some of my favorite study and hangout spots was so special.

We know you had a great experience with your host family. What made it so special?

My host family was amazing! They were so welcoming and really made me feel like part of the family. We had long dinners every night getting to know each other and talking about our days and what we were learning at school. My host brother would ask for help with his English homework after dinner while I practiced my Italian. My host mom let me help cook and tended to me when I was sick. I remember when my host dad found out I had never been to IKEA, we all went the following weekend. There were other day trips they included me on to Fiesole and the beach, which was a wonderful way to see parts of Italy I might not have ever seen. Living in their home was the best experience I could have had and allowed me to immerse myself fully in the Italian language and culture. The fact that I was included in their lives because they wanted me to be is something for which I’ll always be grateful.

Samantha with her host family and her mom, October 2023

What made you decide to be a study abroad advisor when you returned to the US?

Studying abroad is both so exciting and nerve wracking, especially when going to a country where you might not speak the language. When I decided to go to Florence, I didn’t know Italian, but I wanted to learn and knew the curriculum would afford me that chance. I wanted to help set other students’ minds at ease and assure them that even if they didn’t know the language, that shouldn’t stop them from going. I also wanted to help guide future study abroad students through the more overwhelming aspects of the application process, how to prepare for living abroad, what to expect when you’re there, etc. I was fortunate enough to have support and insight from former study abroad students and wanted to be able to provide that to others.

Tell us about any memories that particularly stand out about your time here.

There are so many amazing memories from my study abroad experience. If I had to pick, I’d say both my first and last day in Florence. When I first arrived, I was simultaneously so excited, nervous, and having second thoughts about being able to live successfully in a totally different country.  On my last day, I remember visiting my favorite spots around the city one last time. I was so emotional and couldn’t imagine what it would be like if I hadn’t come to Florence. Now, looking back on how much my feelings had changed from day one to my final day, I am reminded of how much my time abroad shaped me as a person. I’m lucky to remember both how it began and how it ended – each day was memorable in its own way.

Any advice for current or future Syracuse Florence students?

It might sound cliché, but take advantage of your time there and soak it all in. Go to the museums and explore the outdoor markets. Have lunch in different piazzas. Speak Italian in restaurants and shops, even if you’re still learning! Stop to take in the details of the buildings and sculptures. It’s a unique experience being able to live and study in a different country, especially in such a historical and beautiful city. Travel to and explore different cities and countries on the weekends. It’s a big world and being able to travel Europe so easily while you’re there is not an opportunity to be missed. Studying abroad in Florence is an experience like no other and it will stay with you forever. Enjoy every moment!