Friends of the University have made generous contributions which enable us to award scholarships, described below, for specific study abroad experiences for Syracuse Unversity undergraduate students who are participating in semester programs. Awards will be a part of your financial aid package and will be disbursed to your Bursar’s account before the start of classes.
- November 1 (at 5 p.m. EST) for study abroad during the spring semester.
- April 30 (at 5 p.m. EST) for study abroad during the fall semester.
Instructions to apply:
You may apply for up to four (4) scholarships but only need to submit ONE essay. Please review the scholarship qualifications below and list your preferences on your application.
Write an essay stating your academic, personal and career goals. How will your study overseas prepare you to reach those goals? Essays should not exceed 500 words.
Log in to your OrangeAbroad portal to complete and submit the Named Scholarship and Travel Grants Application.
Based on the Spring 2019 award cycle, approximately 16% of the applicants received an award. The scholarship amounts ranged from $520 – $2,286; the average award was $910. All applicants will receive notification regarding the results of their application once selections have been made.
All Named Scholarships
- The Alvin S. Meltzer Endowed Scholarship Fund: Awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need. Preference is given to a student enrolled in a program of study related to marine ecology or Mediterranean culture. (One award)
- Margaret A. Charters Education Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to an undergrad student enrolled in the School of Education. Preference is given to a minority students enrolled in Inclusive, Early Childhood or English Education program, or an outstanding student in K-12 Literacy. (One award)
- The Christopher and Jennifer Jones Memorial Scholarship: Award is given to a student on the basis of academic merit and financial need. Designed to enhance the study abroad experience, the award may be applied to course fees or other billed expenses. (One award)
- Esposito International Business Scholarship Fund: Awarded to an undergraduate student in good academic standing. Preference given to students enrolled in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management in International Business. (One award)
- Arthur T. and Jane M. Murphy Endowed Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Scholarship Fund: Open to all majors, but preference given to College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) students. (One award)
- Kristina Hahn Scholarship for Syracuse Abroad: Awarded on the basis of financial need. All students can apply, but preference is given to a student enrolled in the S.I. Newhouse School. (Two awards)
- The Anthony Yeh Beijing Scholarship: Scholarships available for students studying on a World Partner Program in Beijing. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of combined academic achievement and financial need. (Up to two awards)
- The Anthony Yeh Hong Kong Scholarship: Scholarships available for students studying on a World Partner Program in Hong Kong. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of combined academic achievement and financial need. (Up to three awards)
- Travel Grants: Friends of the University have made generous contributions which provides access to the University’s Syracuse Abroad Program for financially needy students who may not otherwise be able to afford to participate. Award will be part of the overall financial aid package and available approximately 10 days before the start of classes. (Up to 20 awards)