Your housing assignment is bed bug-free prior to your arrival, so make sure you don’t bring any back with you from your travels.
To reduce the risk of bringing bed bugs into your housing assignment:
- Examine the common hiding places for bed bugs room where you’ll be staying. (Cracks and crevices, carpet edges, mattress seams, pillowcase linings, headboards, and wall trims)
- Inspect the mattress seams for signs of hidden bed bugs (droppings, eggs, small blood stains, bed bugs themselves).
- Don’t leave clothing, cloth suitcases or backpacks lying on the bed or on any location where you suspect and infestation. Keep all cloth away from these areas by using hangers or hooks and putting suitcases on luggage stands or on another hard surface.
- Keep your bags closed and off the floor when not in use. This is especially important at night.
- While bed bugs can appear anywhere, they’re especially prevalent in Airbnbs because there are no extermination policies in place. Avoid this type of lodging whenever possible.
- If you see a bed bug, be sure to take a picture to show the hotel manager/landlord.
- Once you return home, do not unpack your suitcase and keep your closed suitcase off the bed and away from the closet.
- Inspect your suitcase, handbags, backpacks, and contents for signs of bed bugs (droppings, eggs, small blood stains, bed bugs themselves). Pay special attention to areas around the zippers.
- If you suspect bed bugs, seal all clothing and linens to be cleaned in plastic bags and take the plastic bags along with your suitcase, handbags or backpacks to the laundromat.
- Wash all the items in 60ºC water and dry on high heat in the dryer before taking your items back to your room. This will stop the spread of any bugs.
- Wipe down electronics and hard or plastic surfaces.
- If you see any bed bugs in your room in Madrid, come to Student Life to notify us right away.
- Do not apply any pesticides on your own.
Once bed bugs have made it into your home, they’re tricky to get rid of. The best solution is prevention.