If you are proficient in Spanish, and your idea of studying abroad is cultural immersion and getting a vibrant and real sense of what “being a Spaniard” means, these courses are for you. Here, you can find all the options available for you to perfect your Spanish skills while studying in Madrid.
Upper-division Spanish language courses (choose one: 3 credits each)
Content courses taught in Spanish (choose two or three: 3 credits each)
- HST/WGS/SPA 417: The History of Women in Spain (only offered in spring 2023)
- SPA 459/FIL300: Contemporary Spanish Cinema
- SPA 400: De Madrid al Cielo: The Culture of Modernity and the Urban Experience in Spain’s Capital
- HOA 364/SPA 364: Modern Spanish Art
Internship or Community Engagement (internship, 1 credit; community engagement is not credit-bearing)
Once you begin your semester at the Syracuse Madrid Center, you’ll have the opportunity to enroll in an internship. Internships in Syracuse Madrid are offered in different fields, from business to social services to communications.
Signature Seminar (3 credits)
SPA300 Spanish Identities: A Linguistic and Cultural Journey (not offered in fall 2023, subject to travel restrictions)
Direct enrollment at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) – ONLY AVAILABLE FOR SPRING SEMESTER OR ACADEMIC-YEAR STUDENTS
You can also choose to enroll in the Liberal Arts in Spanish program at UAM, where you’ll be taking courses taught in Spanish with both Spanish and international students.
Liberal Arts in Spanish at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) (choose one or two courses: 3 credits each)
- Take courses alongside your Spanish peers at a local Spanish university.
- Due to the academic calendar at UAM, this option is only available for the academic year or spring semester students.
- Students enrolled in Syracuse Madrid center courses or in the UAM option take 12-19 credits.