HEOP student explores new research perspectives in South Korea

Leondra Tyler ’23, a student of the University’s part-time Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP), is the first part-time HEOP student to receive the Our Time Has Come (OTHC) scholarship. During the spring 2023 semester, she studied abroad in South Korea at Yonsei University.

Back home, Tyler is a part-time neuroscience and psychology student in the College of Arts and Sciences at Syracuse University. Scholarships like the OTHC scholarship have allowed Tyler to push the limits of post-traditional learning and take part in studying abroad.

“What drew me into the OTHC scholarship program was that I really wanted an academically focused program for Black and brown students. This has given me a great opportunity to connect with Black and brown alumni and hear about their experiences and their post-academic lives,” Tyler says. “Although I just got the scholarship this semester, it’s been really nice knowing that I have a support system, not only at Syracuse but also here at Yonsei.”

Read more: New Perspectives in South Korea