Taught in Spanish at the Pontificia Universidad Católica and may not be offered every semester. This course will introduce you to analysis of the sonic structure of the current Spanish language from a mainly synchronic perspective, but also touching upon diachronic or historical questions. Our study will focus primarily on the Spanish of Chile. Your objectives for this course are to:
- Study and understand the theories and methodologies of phonic phenomena analysis.
- Describe in general terms the phonic structure of the current standard Spanish on segmental and suprasegmental levels, both phonetically and phonologically.
- Classify phonic phenomena.
- Critically consider the theoretical approaches to and phonetic descriptions of Chilean Spanish.
- Develop the ability to define research topics in this area.