Open only to students accepted to the special program Madrid Center & Liberal Arts in Spanish at UAM.
Taught in Spanish. From the territory to the Court: agents, ambassadors and provincial legacies in Spain’s royal court. Topics include:
- Negotiation in the court: the instances of power. The king, the State council and territorial councils, and other paths to political influence. The networks of relationships, patronage and political friendship
- The government of kingdoms and the territorial dimension of the monarchy of Spain
- Viceroys and general governors
- Supreme courts in the kingdoms, audiences and magistrates, the ministerial career, and fiscal and military structure of the kingdoms
- The representation of the realms and the management of cities
- Political society of the kingdoms: nobility, clergy and urban elites
Meets with HST 380.8.
(19026, Monarquía y Territorios en la España Moderna)
Location: Liberal Arts at UAM