Madrid Visa Information

All U.S. citizens and many non-U.S. citizens are required to have a long-stay student visa to study for a semester in Madrid. Complete the Passport Information form within your Syracuse Abroad application. Students that have a European Union passport (as well as nationals of Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein) do not need a student visa.

Syracuse Abroad coordinates a group visa submission for students whose home school or home address is located in a state within the New York Consulate’s jurisdiction (CT, DE, NJ, NY, or PA). For Fall 2020 students, Syracuse Abroad will also coordinate a group visa submission for students whose home school or home address is located in a state within the Washington DC Consulate’s jurisdiction (DC, VA, NC, MD or WV). All other students will apply for their visa independently at the Consulate that has jurisdiction over the state where you study or live.

Please note that it takes 4 to 6 weeks for a Consulate to process a student visa and return your passport with the visa back to you. If you have plans to travel overseas before you go to Spain, you may not be eligible to participate in the NYC group submission.

Visa Information & Application Packets – Fall 2020

Visa application form (all consulates) – more details coming soon

New York City:

NYC Visa Instructions Fall 2020

NYC Group Submission Authorization Letter

Washington DC:

Washington DC Visa Instructions Fall 2020

Washington DC Group Submission Authorization Letter

If applying at Spanish Consulates in Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami or San Francisco, please contact Rick Cieri for your visa instructions.