Congratulations to the 6 Syracuse University students who received Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships for their upcoming study abroad programs in summer or fall 2021! In addition to the 6 recipients, 5 Syracuse students were named as alternates. The total amount received by the students is $28,000, with the average award size being nearly $4,700.
Gilman Scholarships are open to undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college/university to participate in study or internship programs abroad. We encourage all Syracuse Abroad students who meet the qualifications to apply for awards that can reach up to $8,000.
The deadline for Cycle 2 of Gilman Scholarships will be Tuesday March 2, 2021. Eligible students can apply during Cycle 2 to obtain funding towards a summer 2021, fall 2021, or spring 2022 semester abroad. Syracuse Abroad and the Center for Fellowship & Scholarship Advising (CFSA) will hold a Gilman Interest Session on Friday, February 5, 2021 via Zoom (12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.), as well as virtual writing workshops leading up to the application deadline.
For more information on Syracuse Abroad programs, students can make an appointment to meet virtually with an advisor.
Our Cycle 1 recipients are:
- Brianna Gonzales: Spain (semester TBD)
- Taylor John: China (fall 2021)
- Arturo Ligai: Kyrgyzstan (summer 2021)
- Zoe Quinones: United Kingdom (fall 2021)
- Marel Pryor: France (summer 2021)
- Ayah Salei: Italy (summer 2021)
Our Cycle 1 alternates are:
- Shiyu An: United Kingdom (spring 2021)
- Alexis Chu: Spain (spring 2021)
- Andrea de Haro: Italy (fall 2021)
- Ha Sun Paek: South Korea (spring 2021)
- Emma Purce: Spain (spring 2021)