Passports for Non-U.S. Citizens


If you do not currently have a U.S. passport, it is your responsibility to have a valid passport from your country of citizenship. Notify your Syracuse Abroad counselor of your citizenship status and the type of passport you hold so you may be properly guided to acquire necessary visas for your time abroad.

You must contact an international student advisor at your school or the Office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services prior to applying for a visa to ensure that your immigration papers are in order (e.g., a valid I-20, I-94, etc.) and that you will be able to re-enter the United States at the end of your study abroad program.

Visa Information

Student Visas: Non-U.S. citizens are responsible for knowing and understanding the visa application requirements of the Consulate for the country where they plan to study. In some cases, students will be required to obtain their student visa on their own behalf, though the admissions counselors for Florence, Madrid, and Santiago may be able to apply for Non-U.S. citizen student visas with additional documentation. Students should see their counselor for more information.

Tourist Visas: Non-U.S. citizens must also research and obtain visas for those countries visited during the traveling seminars and any countries they wish to visit while abroad.

You should continually update your Syracuse Abroad counselor on the status of your visa application (i.e., when you have applied for your visa, when you receive your visa). A list of Consulates and Embassies worldwide can be found online. A delay in obtaining a required visa may jeopardize your ability to participate in the program. If you have questions about this process, please consult your admissions counselor.