Communication & Technology

During your program, please be sure to keep in touch with Syracuse Abroad and check your email account. We also ask that you keep us informed about your contact information abroad, including any emergency phone numbers that the World Partner provides.

Cell Phones Abroad

All students must have a working cell phone while they are abroad. Adding international service to your current plan may be expensive. Please check cost and availability with your service provider before going abroad to decide if it is worth it.

Syracuse Abroad encourages the following two options for semester-long programs:

  1. Purchase an inexpensive phone with a pay-as-you-go plan when you arrive. You can add more minutes and data as you need it, and you will have a local number. Some of the World Partner programs help with this process and/or provide students with a cell phone. 
  2. Add a local sim card to your current phone. To do this, ask your service provider to unlock your phone before you depart the US. Unlocking your phone will allow you to buy a local sim card when you arrive at your destination and insert it into your phone, adding minutes and data as needed, and you’ll also have a local phone number.

You will still need your U.S. phone to use during pre- & post-semester travel and while abroad when WiFi is available for texting and and calling apps such as Whatsapp, etc. Please keep in mind that Wi-Fi access overseas may be more limited and have weaker signals than what you are used to in the US. 

Please be sure to check your World Partner materials to see what they recommend regarding cell phones before making any decisions.

Laptops, Converters & Adapters

If you are taking a laptop with you abroad, please make sure to pack it in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. As with WiFi, Internet access may be limited and is not as widely available as it is in the U.S.

“Adapters” are plug attachments that allow you to plug-in your device abroad. All devices will need a country specific adapter(s), so you should find out what kind of adapter is needed where you are going to study abroad.

“Converters” convert the voltage between your appliance and the wall socket safely. Check if your appliances and devices are dual-voltage or multi-voltage items. Most cellphones, laptops, cameras,  tablets, and battery chargers will only need an adapter, but if you have a single-voltage appliance you will need a converter.