Horseguards Parade

Here are the top four questions Syracuse Abroad staff receives from students considering a semester in London:

How much does the London program cost and what does the program fee cover?

All students are charged Syracuse tuition plus a program fee. Tuition covers 13-19 credit hours of study per semester. View a full breakdown of the London Program Cost.

What are the possibilities to do an internship?

Students can apply for an internship, but must do so by the internship application due date by submitting the Internship & Work Study Request form on their OrangeAbroad portal. Once they are accepted to the London internship program, the Syracuse London internship coordinator will work with each student to find an internship placement in London. All placements are contingent upon successful interviews in London. All students seeking an internship must apply for a Student Visa, which requires an additional fee.

Is a visa required for London?

It depends. For London the following groups are required to obtain visas for their semester abroad:

  • Interns/Work Study Students: Students participating in an internship and/or a work-study position during their semester in London are required to obtain the UK Student Visa. Syracuse Abroad will guide students through the visa process which primarily takes place in May (for fall semester) and October (for spring semester).
  • International Students: Depending on their citizenship, non-U.S. citizens may need the UK Standard Visitor Visa for their semester in London. Syracuse Abroad will notify all students who will need the Standard Visitor Visa and will provide instructions that guide students through this process.
  • International Architecture Students: In addition to the UK Standard Visitor Visa, international Architecture students will also need to obtain a multi-entry Schengen visa as the mandatory Architecture field trips take place in Europe. Syracuse Abroad will guide the international Architecture students through both the UK Standard Visitor visa and Schengen visa processes. 

U.S. citizens who are not participating in an internship or a work-study position do not need a visa for their semester in London.

How do I select courses?

Prior to registration, detailed instructions will be added to your OrangeAbroad portal and will provide all necessary resources for schedule planning and registration preparations. You will be asked to complete a Course Preference Form to indicate your preferred course selections; this form does not guarantee you a space in a course but will help you with planning out your schedule. Students will register online in MySlice before departure and course availability is on a first come, first served basis. Courses are subject to change, and some popular classes do close quickly, so you will need to have alternative selections. Please note that Syracuse Abroad registration timelines and academic dates/deadlines may differ from main campus.

Is a passport required at the time of application?

You must have a passport that is valid at least six months beyond the end date of your program to study abroad.  If you do not have a passport or need to renew your passport, you can submit the application for admission and leave the passport form blank.  While this section of the application will remain incomplete until you upload your new passport, your application will be reviewed for conditional acceptance without the passport information.