Summer sessions at our Centers
Experience what it is like to study at a Syracuse Center location in a condensed amount of time by spending 4 or 5 weeks during the summer at one of our Centers in Florence, London or Madrid. During our summer sessions, you can choose from a variety of courses and enroll in one or two classes to earn 3 to 7 credits. Depending on the location, you will live with a host family, in a residence hall or within shared apartments. During your experience abroad, you will be able to immerse yourself in the city’s culture by participating in exciting Center activities, including weekend trips and city exploration opportunities.
Internships are available as part of Florence and Madrid sessions to enhance your learning experience by collaborating with local businesses. Students who wish to intern in London should complete an application for the London Summer Internship program. This program allows you to take part in the same fun and engaging center activities, but requires you to stay three weeks longer than the London Summer Session program.
Financial aid is available!
Need-based financial aid is available to all students who qualify. Plus, additional summer grants will be allocated to Syracuse University undergraduate students in medium, high and high plus need categories applying to summer 2021 programs at Syracuse Abroad centers in Florence, London, Madrid and Strasbourg. Undergraduates with the highest need applying to study in one of these locations this summer could receive up to $9,000 in grants. Learn more about Summer Session grants!
Application deadline for Florence & London Summer sessions is now March 15. Apply to Virtual Internships with Syracuse London by April 1.
- 5 weeks, 1 or 2 courses (3 to 6 credits) and internships for 1, 2, or 3 credits
- Courses include: Italian Renaissance Art HOA 32, The Italian Mafia HST/SOC 300, Mediterranean Food and Culture: An Italian Experience HST 300/NSD 452/652 and more
- This summer, you will live at a residence called ‘The Student Hotel’, a 20 minute walk to Villa Rossa
- Center activities include Savor Florence, Olive Oil in Impruneta, and day trips to Pisa/Lucca, Siena/San Gimignano and Assisi and Perugia
- 4 weeks, 1 or 2 courses (3 to 6 credits)
- Courses include: British Masculinity on Screen: James Bond & Sherlock Holmes FIL300/QSX/WGS 400, Inside the London Theater ETS/DRA 400, Underground London HST400, Sport in the United Kingdom SPM300 and more
- You will live in shared flat throughout London within a 30 minute commute to the Faraday House
- Center activities include city visits and regional weekend trip including Cardiff or Lake District and Scotland
- Interested in an internship? Check out the London Summer Internship program!
Virtual summer internships with British businesses are available in a variety of fields, including architecture, business, communications, design, drama, education, entertainment management, government and policy, human rights work, and technology. Students can choose to work for 10, 20, or 35 hours per week, for 4 or 8 weeks. Depending on how many hours spent in the virtual placement, students can earn 1, 2, or 3 credits.
- 5 weeks, 1 or 2 courses (3 to 6 credits)
- Courses include: Cross-Cultural Psychology PSY 400, Sexuality in Spain SOC/QSX/WGS 306/600, Mediterranean Environment and Ecosystems BIO 300, The Business of Sports BUA 300.2, and more
- You will have the option to choose between two residence halls
- Center activities include hiking excursions and city exploration opportunities
Courses at Strasbourg Center
Choose 1 or 2 of the following courses to take at Syracuse Strasbourg Center in summer 2021.
Students in all major areas of engineering have an opportunity to conduct research projects at the Institut National des Sciences Appliquées (INSA). No prior language knowledge is required, although a basic knowledge of French is desirable. (3 credits; ECS/MAE 490/690). Cannot be combined with another course.
This course is designed for students interested in international relations and France. Students will combine French language instruction in the classroom and participation in numerous site visits in Strasbourg during this five-week summer course. This course can be combined with Religion, Law, and Human Rights in Strasbourg. There will also be guided excursions to places like Alsace, the Struthof Camp, and the Black Forest, arranged by SU Abroad for all SU Abroad summer programs in Strasbourg. The cost of these trips is included in the program fee. Pre-requisite: FRE 202 (3 credits; FRE 300)
Focusing on both European and non-European jurisdictions, this course (taught at the Syracuse Strasbourg Center) will introduce you to contemporary debates about the role of religion in public and political life, and familiarize you with critical human and women’s rights issues. You will also discuss contemporary multicultural and pluri-legal challenges to universal human rights values and principles. This course can be combined with a summer internship in Strasbourg. (3 credits; IRP/MES/PSC 400.1/600.1)
An ideal gateway to the fascinating political landscape of the new Europe, Strasbourg, France, is home to the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights, and the Parliament of the European Union. You’ll discover the historical and cultural layers of old Europe in this welcoming and walkable city. (BUA/FRE/IPA/PSC 470/670)
Hear from our Global Ambassadors
“During my time in Madrid, my roommate and I developed a really strong relationship with our host family. Through our dinner conversations every night, we learned about the history of Spain, current political topics and a lot about the values held by Spaniards. One of my proudest moments abroad was near the end of my time in Madrid when my host mom complimented the progress my roommate and I had made on our speaking abilities. It showed us that our dedication to learning the language was paying off.”
-Charlie Naples ’21
Madrid Summer Session, summer 2019
View all Summer Global Ambassadors