To be eligible to submit a GPA petition:
- Students who have a GPA lower than 2.5 must petition for approval to study abroad.
- Students with a GPA lower than 2.3 are not eligible to apply.
- Only applicants to Syracuse Abroad semester (fall/spring) center programs (London, Florence, Madrid, Santiago, Strasbourg, or Central Europe) may petition for Low GPA Admission.
Petition documents must be submitted in their entirety to Syracuse Abroad at 106 Walnut Place or emailed to email@example.com at least 2 weeks in advance of your program application deadline. Late applications will not be reviewed.
- Be an active applicant to a semester center-based program and have all application checklist items completed.
- Prepare a two (2) page statement explaining the reasons for your lower GPA; outlining your goals for academic improvement; and detailing your skills, habits, and strategies for achieving success while abroad.
- Obtain a signed Statement of Support for Study Abroad from your academic advisor (for SU students) or your study abroad advisor (for visiting students) and send it to Syracuse Abroad. Your academic advisor has the option to email it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Academic Review Committee at Syracuse Abroad is responsible for reviewing applications and making a final determination.
- Low GPA petitions will not be reviewed until after the application deadline.
Admission into your first-choice Center program will be contingent upon availability of space; if denied your first choice, you will have the opportunity to request an alternate location.
- If approved for study abroad, you will receive a conditional acceptance requiring you to achieve at least a 2.5 GPA for a minimum of completed 12 credits for the semester during which you are submitting a Low GPA petition. Failure to achieve a 2.5 GPA will result in your acceptance being rescinded.
The decision of the Academic Review Committee is final and cannot be appealed. Syracuse Abroad reserves the right to deny any petition.