World Partner Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between World Partner and Center programs?

World Partner programs are full-semester programs that place students at host universities or institutes abroad. While students do earn SU credit and pay SU tuition, they may be the only SU student on the program, or one of a few SU students among large cohorts from other universities. Program size ranges from small groups of 20-30 students doing intensive language study to full-service universities with 30,000 students on campus.

How do I apply?

World Partner programs require the normal Syracuse Abroad application and a complete application to the host university/provider. Some require SU to nominate the student before they can complete the host university application and, thus, their Syracuse Abroad application has an earlier due date than others.

What is the GPA requirement for World Partner programs?

For most World Partner programs, the required GPA is 3.0, based on the program’s published GPA requirements and/or Syracuse Abroad’s evaluation of the program’s academic expectations. There are some programs whose GPA requirement ranges from 2.5-3.0. Please refer to each program’s page for its exact requirements. Note: Syracuse Abroad reserves the right to adjust the requirements for World Partner programs as it deems appropriate.

Does my financial aid apply? Is there financial aid available?

Yes and yes! Since all World Partner students are earning SU credit and paying SU tuition, any financial aid (except work-study since students won’t be on campus working) applies. All are also eligible for our named scholarships, the automatic merit scholarship, and any outside financial assistance for study abroad (like the Gilman Scholarship and Boren Scholarship).

Where do I live?

Most students live off-campus but on-campus housing is available. Students arrange housing on their own and places to live are usually available on the world partner website. Some students can arrange to live in provided apartments and few home-stays are available.

Is there a group flight?

No, students make their own flight arrangements.

What happens when I arrive?

During the first few days, you will attend an orientation given by the international/study abroad offices. Everything you need to know about your university will be covered.

How do I know what courses I can take?

World Partner institutions control their course offerings and while we make our best effort to review and approve courses prior to students going abroad, some do not compile their lists until January or February for the Spring semester and August for the Fall semester. The more flexibility a student has, the better. Typically, reserving general elective credits (like anything in Arts in Sciences for Newhouse students) makes for a more successful experience. If a student MUST take a certain course to stay on track, they should have a few backup options to fill that requirement, or try to consolidate their required courses into on-campus semesters and plan their time abroad for more general requirements.

I’m interested in going to a country like Israel or Russia…how do I know if the program is open and what happens if the program is closed after I apply?

Security is always a concern when studying abroad, and we closely monitor every location and work to evaluate whether instability or insecurity will impact a student’s semester abroad. If we are forced to suspend a program, it will be part of a comprehensive review by SU administration and the Risk Management Office, including reviewing alternative locations and any coordination necessary with faculty to ensure students can complete their coursework. We hope that won’t need to happen during a semester as that would be the most difficult scenario to recoup coursework, so we are proactive in reviewing locations for their long-term stability. If a program is suspended, World Partner counselors will work with individual students to review their priorities and goals in accordance with appropriate location options.