Passports and Visas


A visa is official permission by a foreign government to visit that country for a specified purpose and a limited time. The visa is stamped onto one of the pages of your passport and generally is not a separate document. After you have been admitted to a Syracuse Abroad program, your Syracuse Abroad admissions counselor will provide you with information on obtaining your student visa.

Discovery program students: Please use our First Semester Study Abroad Passport and Visa page.

Passports for U.S. Citizens

You will need a valid passport to study abroad. Your passport will be your primary source of identification abroad. We recommend that you make copies of the picture and signature pages of your passport and of your visa (if required for your program); leave a set with your family and bring a set abroad with you. It is always good to have copies of your passport in case of an emergency.

Information for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you do not currently have a U.S. passport, it is your responsibility to have a valid passport from your country of citizenship. Notify your Syracuse Abroad counselor of your citizenship status and the type of passport you hold so you may be properly guided to acquire necessary visas for your time abroad.