D’Aniello Scholarship Helps Air National Guardsman Spend Final Semester in Florence

The shadow of Florence’s cathedral dome is a far cry from the inner-city neighborhood where Syracuse senior Jean Castilla got his start. Raised by Panamanian parents in East New York, Brooklyn, Jean became the first member of his family to go to college thanks to a determined, entrepreneurial spirit that emerged early on.

The first stop on Jean’s rise to the top was Breakthrough New York, an educational support program for talented kids from low-income backgrounds. Next was a spot at the High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College, ranked as New York’s #1 high school. Now, he is concluding a degree in entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises at Syracuse’s Whitman School of Management while balancing military service in the Air National Guard’s 174th Attack Wing.

Outside the classroom, Jean has acquired work experience trading on foreign markets and doing cybersecurity for Paramount+. He’s also been active on campus as a student liaison for the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs where he helped to found the student-led group SALSA.

How did you secure a scholarship to come abroad to Florence?

By simply applying and my GPA and achievements spoke for themselves. The supportive academic environment, along with the OVMA office’s encouragement, led me to be selected for the Daniel and Gayle D’Aniello Florence Study Abroad Program under the mentorship of Director of Veteran Services Jennifer Pluta and Deputy Director Dwayne Anthony Murray. I am forever grateful for this opportunity. 

What do you enjoy the most about the Syracuse Florence program?

How it immerses me in the local culture. The food here is amazing. Compared to the hustle and bustle of New York City, Florence’s quiet neighborhoods offer a peaceful escape. Plus, the people are friendly and always willing to lend a hand or share a story. And let’s not forget the scenery—every street feels like a work of art.

It’s been an unforgettable experience, filled with delicious food, warm encounters, and breathtaking views that I’ll carry with me for a lifetime. Moreover, the ease of commuting and traveling internationally to nearby countries adds an exciting dimension. I’m particularly fond of how this city combines its small size with rich culture, history, and traditions—it’s truly a gem.

What lessons will you bring home with you from your experience abroad?

The lessons I’ll bring home are invaluable. Firstly, I’ve learned the importance of embracing new cultures and stepping out of my comfort zone. Living in Florence has taught me to appreciate diversity and understand different perspectives, fostering empathy and open-mindedness.

Secondly, I’ve gained a deeper understanding of independence and adaptability. Navigating life in a foreign country, from language barriers to unfamiliar customs, has honed my problem-solving skills and resilience, empowering me to face challenges with confidence.

My time abroad has also highlighted the significance of seizing opportunities and making the most of every moment. Whether it’s exploring historic landmarks or sampling local cuisine, I’ve learned to embrace spontaneity and live in the present, cherishing each experience as it comes.

Lastly, my experience abroad has reinforced the importance of global citizenship and interconnectedness. Engaging with people from diverse backgrounds has underscored our shared humanity and the value of fostering connections across borders, reminding me of the importance of empathy, compassion, and collaboration in our interconnected world.

Overall, my time in Florence has been transformative, equipping me with invaluable life lessons that will continue to shape my personal and professional journey long after I return home.