Prerequisites: Arts and Sciences majors, priority given to Rhetorical Studies, Creative Writing, English and Textual Studies and English Education majors
Company Description: The British Institute and its library have played an important role in Anglo-Florentine cultural life since 1917. Today the Harold Acton Library continues to provide a rich resource of books to borrow and browse, and it is the venue for the institute’s stimulating cultural program of lectures and films.
Job Description: Interns assist the librarians with their daily activities
PLEASE NOTE: The British Institute Library is open in the afternoon only. Check that your class schedule allows before application
- Archive organization
- Cataloging and classifying materials
- Plan and organize special events such as the regular Cultural Programme
- English, no Italian required
Company Description: Franky in New York (frankyinnewyork.com and on social media) is a non-profit organization founded by Elena Frigenti and Massimo Basile, two New York-based Italian journalists with more than thirty years experience. Franky in New York aims at deepening the bonds between Italians and Italian Americans, telling the stories of Italian Americans far from the stereotypes, and spotlighting Italian culture and lifestyle. Their next project is a Who’s Who of Italian Americans, a sort of directory with hundreds of mini biographies of Italian Americans listed in alphabetical order.
Job Description: In this online only internship, students will create interview essays to be featured in the Who’s Who of Italian Americans project and book
- Conduct interviews via zoom with the Who’s Who of Italian Americans subjects following a template developed by Elena and Massimo
- Write a 300 word biography on the interviewed subject
- Edit and revise the biography according to feedback
- English, no Italian required
- Communications and/or Journalism major
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong motivation
Company Description: The Santa Croce Bloggers Project is an opportunity for students to get to know the Church of Santa Croce with its wealth of art, history and religion closely intertwined with the city of Florence..
Job Description: Each intern will be expected to write and post blogs on Santa Croce related topics
- Conduct interviews with friars, restorers, scholars and visitors
- Compose and edit blog posts on topics such as “what not to miss in Santa Croce”, restorations, interview pieces, “Santa Croce through the eyes of artists throughout the centuries” etc.
- Basic Italian
- Good writing skills in English
Company Description: The Florentine is a bi-weekly English-language newspaper published in Florence. It aims to help English-speaking visitors become better acquainted with the city of Florence and its surrounding communities. It reports on local and national Italian news and publishes an extensive list of current events in and around Florence.
Job Description: The intern will assist with as well as develop independently articles for The Florentine
- Conduct research for articles
- Conduct interviews for articles
- Write and edit articles of general interest for English-speaking residents and visitors to Florence
- Intermediate to advanced Italian.